Land Bank is a specialist agricultural bank guided by a government mandate to provide financial services to the commercial farming sector and to agri-business and to make available new, appropriately designed financial products that would facilitate access to finance by new entrants to agriculture from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.Today, the Bank is a true South African development finance institution that serves all farmers equally.
The mission of Land Bank is:
- To develop and provide appropriate products for commercial and development clients.
- To leverage private sector investment into the agricultural sector. To develop partnerships with intermediaries for on lending.
- To develop techniques for financing high-risk agriculture and new business areas.
- To support programmes of the Ministry of Land Affairs and Agriculture by aligning the Bank’s products with these programmes.
- To contribute to rural development by linking up with government structures and activities.
These include the Land Redistribution for Agricultural Development (LRAD), Agricultural Sector Plan and the government’s Integrated Sustainable Rural Development Strategy (ISRDS) Land Bank is in the business of lending money to clients. As a development finance Institution, the Bank is also constantly looking at ways of supporting the farmer and contributing to development, without focusing on profit as the only motive.